In the North West of England where BF plays, they play matches with a format of 2 sets of men's doubles, 2 sets of Ladies doubles and two sets of mixed doubles.
Now what normally happens in BF's club is the men's pair win their doubles match and the ladies lose their doubles match, so it is all down to the Mixed matches.
Now BF being a very serious match player will now ask the following of his Lady partner
1. Please serve to their backhand (or weaker side)
2. get to the net as soon as possible
3. Please put the volley away when you are at the net on my serve
Well all of the above does not happen and the following reasons by the Lady player are given:
1. I'm happy if the serve goes in!
2. I don't like being at the net !
3. I'm not very good at volley's!
At this point BF is now so wound up he is trying to play every shot himself (apart from the receive of serve for his partner) but boy would he like to have a go!
Now BF is trying to help his partner by saying things like:
1. You really should move forward to pick up the drop shot!
2. Why do you volley as though your using a frying pan?
3. If you serve any slower I am going to need a visit to the doctors to get this return of serve out of my eye!
4. Please move up to the net! (on the next court, so I can play the whole thing myself!)
5. stop waving your racket around and bloody volley will you!
Any way when I asked BF why he didn't play match tennis anymore he said
" The match fee was fine I had no problem with that, What really caused a problem was the cost of the chocolates and flowers I had to buy for my lady partners to apologise for my outbursts. But they really should have told me they couldn't play match tennis before I agreed to play!"
To this day BF has never played match tennis in the north west again.
Note to North West tennis, please start a men's league, There are many who would play!
The above is a true story and to this day BF has not purchased any flowers or chocolates in the last 5 years! For the sake of all BF's please organise a men's league in Southport, you will be surprised at the support you will get if you do!! (maybe BF will sponsor the league!)
Update Feb 2014:
I emailed Southport Tennis League Organisation to ask if there was any plans to have a separate Men's / Ladies league and here is the reply:
At the present time the only way to play men's doubles (without the mixed) is to join a club that participates in the Liverpool League as well as the Southport i.e Aughton or Campion. Players in the Southport area tend to join a Liverpool League Club as well if their club is affiliated to the S'port League only. Some branch out to Preston so there is no need for the S'port League to run a men's/ladies' only team.
Hope that helps.